PE & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The money is provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. It is allocated to primary schools to be spent at the discretion of the Headteacher. It can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
What is the purpose of the grant?
Schools will spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport; but have the freedom to choose how they do this.
This might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with teachers when teaching PE
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport and providing the cover to release them to do this
- Running sport competitions and attending sports festivals and events organised by the local learning community
- Buying materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils in after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- Encouraging children to take part in sport through active lunch times